Kief is the crystalline powder in the outer part of the cannabis bud. It is the trichomes on a bud that make it look glittery. If you collect kief and use it, you know what a great addition it is to your joint. You probably also use it to make hash.
What you might not know is that you can also use kief to make butter. Cannabis is an ingredient for cooking, and kief is just one of the ingredients.
As with any cannabis products, kief must be decarbed before it is ready for consumption. Before it is decarboxylated, kief will not get you high when consumed.
How to Decarb Kief
Decarbing kief is a delicate process due to its loose and powdery nature. It burns quickly and doesn’t take as long to reach the required temperature to decarb. Here is the detailed process on how to do it:
- Preheat oven at 230f
- Spread Kief over a baking tray in a thin, even layer.
- Bake for around 30 to 45 minutes, stirring frequently. Once it starts to turn brownish remove from the oven immediately.
Now the kief is ready to be used.
How to Make Kief Butter
Kief isn’t chlorophyll concentrated hence will taste better than cannabutter. It also requires a short time to cook and doesn’t leave your kitchen smelling of cannabis.
For any cooking recipe, you start with gathering ingredients.
- 1-2 grams of kief
- 1 cup of unsalted butter
- 2 cups of water
- Large saucepan
- Wooden spatula
- Oven Safe container
- Small mason jar
- Cheese sieve and cloth
Directions to Cook
- Decarb your kief to activate THC. It would be best if you allowed the activated kief to cool. When decarbing it, you should be careful not to lose a lot of healthy kief due to unplanned stickiness.
- Add 2 cups of water to a saucepan and put on medium heat.
- Add your unsalted butter to the saucepan and let it to melt.
- Add kief and stir after every 10 to 15 minutes for an hour.
- When the kief butter gets to the hour mark, use a cheesecloth sieve and strainer to sieve the butter and cannabis mixture.
- Now leave it in the fridge for at least 5 hours.
- Remove the mixture after the five hours and cut off the hard top layer. Place the butter in a new dish and pour out the remaining water that was under the butter.
- Melt the butter in a microwave and then store in the fridge. Ensure you cover it when storing.
- It will be ready for use once it has hardened up.
Frequently Asked Questions
At what temperature does kief activate?
Kief and hash are not decarbed using the same process as weed due to their delicate state. You can decant kief in an oven for 10 minutes at temperatures of 300f. It is important to note that at higher temperatures, kief decarbs faster than dried flowers. Marijuana with high CBC strains usually decants slower than that with high THC content.
For how long should you decarb Kief?
Decarbing kief is a necessary process, especially if you are planning to use it together with edibles. Learning to decarb will give you the best possible version of kief. Decarbing it for 25 to 30 minutes is enough to activate the THC.
Heating for any longer will convert THC to CBN which will give you a sleepy high feeling. A thin layer of kief would require a bit more time.
How many grams of kief do you need for edibles?
For kief as marijuana, no one dose fits all. It depends on many variables such as;
- Different marijuana strains have different potency. Even the same strain grown in other places will have different strengths. You should also note that every cannabis strain contains various levels of cannabinoids. That is why it is essential to test the potency of different strains’ effects before cooking and eating a normal portion of food.
- The weight of the person consuming the food sometimes affects the effect of the kief on their bodies. The larger the size of the body, the higher the dose required to affect you. Also, different people have different rates of metabolism hence different tolerance levels.
- The frequency of cannabis use. The more a person uses cannabis and its products, the higher the tolerance levels they develop. A frequent cannabis user who stops using for even a day will have heightened effects to cannabis.
- If you take in marijuana when you are hungry, then you will feel heightened effects. This is not the case when you consume marijuana together with food or when your stomach is full.
- Alcohol increases the effects of marijuana, even sometimes leading to paranoia, especially when taken together.
Do you have to decarb kief for edibles?
Yes, decarbing keif is necessary as for any other cannabis product to be mixed with edibles. Decarbing is the process of exposing kief to heat for some time to activate it. Once exposed to heat, it starts the psychoactive cannabinoid THC. To experience the full effects of cannabis in edibles, it is necessary to decarb marijuana. It is a straightforward and simple process.
Can I put kief in my coffee?
Adding kief in your coffee is one of the most popular ways of consuming cannabis. The heat in coffee decarbs the kief to cannabinoids, making them easy to consume. You only add a pinch of kief to create a viable cannabis-infused drink. The kief can also be added to a hot steaming coffee cup and will give you the same exhilarating effects.
Kief in edibles is a viable option that allows you to experience the full effects of kief. Kief butter is easy to cook and process recipe that doesn’t require special skills or advanced knowledge. You only need to know the basic principles of decarbing, and you are good to go. Kief butter can be used several times and give you the marijuana experience.