Are you one of those who is just starting to practice tattooing?
Already want to make tattooing like a pro?
So, you need the best rotary tattoo machine.
The matter is the rotary tattoo machine keep two amazing functions.
Such a tattoo machine is not going to be more complicated than LEGO Duplo, but it also opens many opportunities for creating a tattoo like a true professional.
You are might wondering:
How can I find the best? There are so many ones!
Be calm! To have the search for your favorite and unique easy, I made the study of 10 tattoo machines that seems the best to me.
On this page:
- 1. Our Top 4 Pick
- 2. Dragonhawk Pen Rotary Tattoo Machine
- 3. Solong Tattoo Machine
- 4. Dragonhawk Tattoo Machine
- 5. Dragonhawk Extreme Tattoo Machine
- 6. EZTAT2 Thunderbolt Tattoo Machine
- 7. Dragonhawk Drive Tattoo Machine
- 8. Yosoo Liner Shader Tattoo Machine
- 9. Yosoo Dragonfly Tattoo Machine
- 10. Redscorpion Rotary Tattoo Machine
- 11. New Star Tattoo Dragonfly Tattoo Machine
- 12. Things to Consider Before Buying
- 13. FAQs
Top 4 products comparison table
|Dragonhawk Mast Pen||4.9 / 5|
|Solong Tattoo Pen||4.9 / 5|
|Dragonhawk Rotary||4.8 / 5|
|Dragonhawk Extreme||4.7 / 5|
Best Rotary Tattoo Machine Reviews
1. Dragonhawk Mast Pen Rotary Tattoo Machine ReviewDragonhawk Mast Pen Rotary Tattoo Machine is a lightweight, quiet tattoo machine. It’s hard to believe, but at high power, it works very quietly.
There is an option to adjust the needle from 3.5 mm to 2.8 mm. This feature is a big plus for the machine’s versatility. You can use this technique for any technique and style.
And the pen tattoo machine brings a feeling of like you hold a pen in your hand. It is due to emulation of the clutch. The figure is more accurate.
- Dragonhawk Mast Pen Rotary Machine has an aluminum frame and a Japanese engine. The length of the body is 11.7 cm, and the lightness of the machine is determined by the weight of 120 g.
- There is an option to adjust the length of the needle stroke from 3.5 mm to 2.8 mm for different styles. You can use any needles and cartridges here.
- The operating voltage of this tattoo is from 6 to 9 volts.
- Icould use all the sizes of needles and set the length of the needle really works. It can be from the short to the long.
- As you work, you feel a weak vibration and almost no noise, despite it uses a powerful Japanese engine.
- The aluminum body quickly cools, and it allowed me to take breaks to clean the needle and rest.
- The lightweight of 120 grams makes it possible to work long hours not heavy.
- The cartridges are held loose and pushed out, so I had to unscrew it.
- It is difficult to control the needle since it is long to “think” before tattooing.
2. Solong Tattoo Pen Rotary Tattoo Machine ReviewThe main task of Solong Tattoo Pen Rotary Tattoo Machine is to transmit the feeling of the real handle as close as possible. And indeed, it is.
Regardless of whether you make eyebrows, lips, or something else, there is a feeling that you are doing it with your own hand.
The machine creates a low noise level, but the engine is quite powerful and can work under voltage from 7 to 12 volts.
- Solong Tattoo Pen Rotary Tattoo Machine is made of an anodized aluminum alloy that cools quickly and ensures the strength.
- The power of this tattoo machine is provided by a powerful Taiwan engine that does not create noise for a long time.
- The hand tattoo machine can operate under a voltage of 7 to 12 volts and with any power supply.
- The kit includes 1 connection line (DC 5.5mm), 1 plug adapter and 1 needle cartridge.
- This rotary machine is very light and holds in your hand as conveniently as possible, so it’s good for long work and your hands do not get tired.
- You can use this tattoo machine for any technique and style since it can work under any possible voltage – from weak to strong.
- I see that the engine is powerful, but it does not create loud noises, only some vibrations.
- Aluminum alloy is durable and because of the ability to quickly cool it gave me time to rest and honor the needles in the cartridge.
- The power cord is too short, but it does not work from the adapter.
- I noticed a rapid warming up of the engine.
3. Dragonhawk Rotary Tattoo Machine for Tattoo ArtistsDragonhawk Rotary Tattoo Machine has plastic needle clamps and works with any needles and even with bushings like coils.
The design of this car pleased me as here I found a power cord, stepped handle and that plastic clamp.
I did not have any problem with coloring, shading, lining, and other things. It seemed to me that this rotary typewriter is good in all areas.
- This tattoo machine was created specifically for creating shading and lining in the tattooing.
- The case is made of durable aluminum (space), which produces a light weight of 4.15oz with a size of 4.2x 2.4 inches.
- The length of the needle stroke is 3.5 mm and cannot be changed.
- Dragonhawk Rotary Machine can work in a voltage range of 7 to 10 volts. For lining, it works at 7 to 8.5 volts, and when shading it ranges from 8 to 10 volts.
- Dragonhawk Rotary Machine is universally good for any technique and conducts smooth, clean lines.
- I did not hear the annoying loud noise and did not feel a strong vibration that could interfere with my work.
- Light weight and a robust aluminum casing ensure durability and ease of continuous work.
- This machine beats current at low voltage, so working with higher voltage seems impossible.
- Again, there is no operating manual, assembly and so on.
4. Dragonhawk Extreme Rotary Tattoo MachineDragonhawk rotary tattoo machine was the first tattoo machine I tested. I would say right away that this device is good for both shading technique as well as for linear style.
First, you see a box inside which it has additional springs, wrenches, and a bottle of lube. This set bribed me, real talk!
The outer side of this tattoo machine is light, and it is another plus in versatility. Additionally, it is easier to hold in your hand and control it. Dragonhawk Extreme can become a tattoo machine for every day without any problems.
- Lightweight in 6.17oz, and a small size with the parameters 3.7×2.2 inches. The material is a strong (but light) carbon steel.
- Inside, there is a powerful high-quality Japanese engine and a slider system (stable locking needle).
- The length of the needle stroke is 3.5 mm. It creates low vibration and quiet noise.
- This tattoo machine can work within 7-10 volts (for allocation – 8-9V, and for shading – 7-8V).
- The machine is versatile in the work and any technique becomes easily achievable due to its lightweight.
- Powerful engine but quiet vibration does not get on your nerves and it was easy for me to hold it in my hand for a long time.
- Everything you need is included, so you can save on additional maintenance.
- Because of the slider system, the machine firmly holds the fixed needle, so that it does not hang out.
- The tattoo machine “dies” after several months of work, but after lubrication and cleansing again begins to live (you may need to repeat cleansing and lubrication very often).
5. EZTAT2 Thunderbolt Rotary Tattoo MachineWe know that Swiss watches are the most accurate, the best in the world. But is this “Swiss quality” transferred to the tattoo machine?
In the case of the EZTAT2 Thunderbolt Rotary Tattoo Machine, yes! The performance of this device is amazing.
The machine is adjustable and works very quietly. I used needles that came with the cartridge and this traditional practice made working very fruitful.
- Swiss tattoo machine works on a powerful Japanese engine at a voltage of 4 to 7.5 volts.
- Thunderbolt Rotary Tattoo Machine is made of aluminum, which provides very light weight.
- The maximum needle entry length is 0.8 mm with a machine size of 95 x 75 x 20 mm.
- It has two colors: silver and black.
- In working with Thunderbolt, I’ve got smooth lines and high-quality color at the same speed.
- I noticed that the needles of this machine tattoo did not cause much damage to the skin.
- This device has a high performance and despite this work does not produce any noise.
- The maximum length of the needle entry is sufficient to perform a smooth line.
- The tattoo machine in question is operating in a low voltage range so that not all techniques can be performed.
6. Dragonhawk Drive Rotary Tattoo MachineThe first thing that catches your eye when working with Dragonhawk Drive Rotary Tattoo Machine is the ability to control and accuracy of the needle.
Additionally, this tattoo machine is quite light and quietly works. I noticed that this device creates continuous smooth lines and the reason for this is in a strong motor.
Dragonhawk Drive is universal and ideal for most famous techniques. The fact is that the length of the needle is adjustable from 1 to 5 mm. It is very cool!
- The tattoo machine in question is rotating and designed to accurately picture and control the needle.
- Dragonhawk Drive Rotary Machine allows the user to adjust the needle in the perimeter from 1 to 5 mm.
- In addition to the design of the machine, there is a connection cord with a stroke for the needle up to 5 mm and a drive power motor, ahex-nut wrench.
- Any techniques and styles become possible when adjusting the length of the needle.
- The engine seemed to me quite powerful and quite quiet, which made the work pleasant.
- The tattooing is clean and accurate due to I can control this tattoo machine.
- The light weight of the machine makes it possible to work long hours without any fatigue in the hands.
- It’s very cool that the needle length can be adjusted, but I do not understand how to do it, because there is no instruction for this.
- The hex-nut wrenchbecomes useless when you cannot loosen the screws holding the needle.
7. Yosoo Liner Shader Tattoo MachineYosoo Liner Shader Tattoo Machine is specifically to solve a huge number of tasks that we meet when creating a tattoo.
It seemed convenient to me that I can connect the shader and the liner to the power source by means of a switch. Additionally, I can manage this process and determine what can be included from this.
The good news is also that the speed and voltage are adjustable in the case of Yosoo Liner.My experience with this tattoo machine has shown that this option provides stable power.
- At the heart of Yosoo, there is two materials, – stainless steel and aluminum alloy, which is anodized.
- There is a button for changing speed and voltage, which makes it easier to install a needle that rotates at 11,000 rpm.
- This device has 7 colors, such as classic black, gold for stars, green for hippies, blue for nerds, purple for forts and white for Sensation.
- The machine operates at a voltage of 3 to 10 volts and does not heat up at any motor voltage (due to thermal diffusion).
- It is universal a thousand times, I used this machine as a liner and to work with color and in both cases, I got an excellent result.
- I noticed stable work and quick heat output, that is, it does not heat up much and gives me the opportunity to work long.
- It was convenient for me to use this machine because I’m afraid of rearranging the needle. But here there is a button with which I can install or remove a needle and avoid an accident.
- Very quiet motor work and weak vibration are noticeable even after a long time, it indicates the high productivity of the product.
- I do not carp, but the packaging of this machine is very weak, and the product can be delivered in an inoperative condition.
8. Yosoo Dragonfly Rotary Tattoo Machine ShaderYosoo Rotary Tattoo Machine by Dragonfly has retained the functionality of the liner and shader and works from a power source that allows you to decide what will be included and what will be in the standby mode.
There is also a function of the speed and voltage regulator by means of a button alone.
This tattoo machine is the best rotary tattoo machine for a controlled internal motor, adjustable intensity. The design of the machine allows me not to suffer from fixing the needle since it is done with a single button.
- A powerful motor creates weak vibrations, and the speed can be changed from 0-8000 R / M, 0-130 R / S.
- You will not find a rubber tape here because the brand has placed a screw instead.
- The needle is automatically installed and has a stroke length of 0 to 2 mm.
- This tattoo gun works at a voltage of 7 to 8 volts.
- Dragonfly can be used as a liner or shader, so any style can be copied.
- This machine has 6 colors – from black and red to green and violet.
- The device is specially designed for easy setup and easy use, so it is equipped with buttons for setting the needle and adjusting the speed and voltage.
- It was easy for me to work with this machine because most of the time for installation was saved by automatically setting the needle and adjusting the speeds.
- Many moving parts are made of plastic and it does not inspire confidence.
- The screw and spring do not look good because of which the rubber band quickly became unusable and there is no way to hold the needle.
9. Redscorpion Rotary Tattoo Machine Gun with Tattoo Grip and Clip CordRedscorpion Rotary Tattoo Machine works as a shader and liner in the voltage range from 3.5 to 5 volts.
This rotary tattoo machine is entirely the fruit of Japanese technology with an appropriate engine in an aluminum alloy.
The feature of this Japanese engine is that it has the best life cycle of all existing motors.
Iwant to note the incredible ease of this product, here only 100 grams of weight. It’s easy to hold in your hand, so even prolonged work does not give fatigue.
Redscorpion Machine works with cartridge needles and believes me it is quite enough.
- It is made of aluminum alloy with carved precision machining for greater accuracy.
- The tattoo machine by Redscorpion works on a Japanese engine, the specificity of which is to save energy and simultaneous power.
- The length of the needle is 3.5 mm and rotates 7500 rpm.
- The aluminum case keeps a lightweight and allows you to control the process of creating a tattoo.
- The lightweight tattoo machine is very well held in the hand.
- The case is durable, and it has a solid connection hole.
- The engine seems very powerful at work, but it saves energy and therefore works more than usual.
- The needle makes the optimum number of revolutions per minute and in principle, you can use this for any technique.
- There is a feeling that this tattoo machine “chews” the skin when the pattern is shaded.
10. New Star Tattoo Dragonfly Rotary Tattoo Machine Shader & LinerNew Star Rotary Tattoo Machine will be the best rotary tattoo machine for those who are used to keeping the style in everything. Due to this tattoo machine has 7 colors.
To get what techniques are applicable in this case, you should know that this tattoo machine works in the range of 6 to 9 volts. But the machine is pretty good both for shading and lining, though more for the lining.
It works from a 1.5 A power supply, so it does not inspire confidence. Such a power source requires rest after 1 or even 2 hours of the work.
- The voltage range of New Star Rotary Tattoo Machine varies from 6 to 9 volts, so it can be used as a liner and shader.
- It’s fairly easy to use because of the light weight of the tattoo machine in question.
- The kit includes only a machine, labor is not included in the kit.
- Use both the liner and shader conveniently and simply because the voltage range is quite wide.
- This tattoo machine seemed to me easy and well-holding in my hand.
- I got quick smooth lines and would recommend this machine as the best liner.
- The New Star Machine has 6 colors, but I took a green appliance that turned out to be decent.
- The motor is weak so that this device quickly becomes unusable.
- The magnet slides and therefore the tattoo gun gets stuck.
Rotary Tattoo Machine Buying Guide
A true professional tattoo artist always has several tattoo machines.
But what if you’re a novice tattoo artist?
What kind of tattoo machine to choose?
I’ll help you figure it out!
Types of Tattoo Machine
Basically, all the tattoo machines are divided into rotary and coil. These are the two main types on which the whole industry stands.
Rotary machines have rotational mechanics. What does it mean?
It means that the needle is connected to the top of the rotating cylinder. That is, when the cylinder rotates, the needle also moves and penetrates into the skin, leaving ink there.
Such movement is useful. For example, the ink is distributed evenly because of such a needle movement.
But this type of tattoo machine has a big disadvantage. This is difficult to use for shading.
So, the rotary tattoo machine is good in that:
- It works quietly.
- Less damage to the skin.
- Very easy to use and economical in maintenance.
- The cylinder rotates the needle slowly/rapidly, but consistently.
I’d advise you to think about before buying a rotary machine tattoo, because:
- It is very difficult to achieve shading.
- The needle will not stop the movement without full stroke.
- Stitched lines are not possible when the needle moves quickly.
As for the tattoo of coil machines, its work is arranged differently. On the coils, current flows and creates a magnetic field. The current close and pulls the chain periodically and quickly through the armbar.
Moving away from complex physics, it should be noted that the coils of the tattoo machine have a double spiral and there is one and three-wheeler.
Despite such many details are frightening, this type of tattoo machine is easily customizable.
Yes, it is much more complicated than rotary machines. And there are special nuances in this.
Because of this, healing of the tattoo is slower, and the skin is damaged more. But the coil tattoo machine creates a complex smooth line and gives the artist the ability to control the depth.
I think that this option will be good for professional artists. After all, these machines are more difficult to work with and you can make modifications with moving parts and coils.
And you should pay attention to the coil of the tattoo machine because of it:
- Make neat smooth lines.
- Let the artist keep control.
- Easy to assemble and configure.
But it also:
- Work noisily,
- Only suitable for professionals,
- Produce more damage to the skin
- Have a large number of moving parts
- And require expensive maintenance.
Benefits of Using Rotary Tattoo machine
The rotary tattoo machine has a lot of advantages.
First, in my opinion, rotary tattoo machine is perfect for beginner tattoo artists. But this, of course, is not all.
- We also already know that this type of tattoo machine works quieter because it has fewer moving parts than reel machines.
- It creates less damage to the skin, which means less time to heal.
- The rotary machine does not need expensive maintenance because it has a simple structure. There are no current and complex parts that may require upgrade.
- It’s easy to use, regardless of your super abilities, professional or not.
- The rotary tattoo machine is the ideal choice for working with color, for filling color work.
Features to look for during purchase
The question of which tattoo machine to choose is very complex and depends on many factors.
The task, the type of tattoo you will have to make, the type of skin and so on will determine the choice.
Many people prefer weight as the most important function, as well as strength and reliability.
It is true, but I’d add to this list the availability of the handle, the longevity, the high repetition rate, and the availability of the power cord.
The weight of the machine is very important when the artist has to work hard. Weight should be light and not create trouble for the hands.
A gripping should add the ideal tattoo machine. Typically, the rotary tattoo machine does not have a grip. The grips come in plastic, nylon and stainless steel and are used for grasping the gel.
Repeats per minute should be high, it will provide deep penetration and reduce pain in the skin.
The clamping cord is important for obtaining energy from the source. It will ensure a stable connection and work.
How to Use Rotary Tattoo Machine?
The tattoo machine is not a woman but requires a special approach. Basically, it concerns the cleanliness of your hands and accuracy.
Only clean hands
Therefore, before you go to the machine with a fat on hands, sanitize your hands, wash them with antibacterial soap, put on gloves – clean yourself up.
Then check the status of the tattoo machine. Let everything be in place. Do you see the frame? Do you see the cylinder? A power supply? Then everything is OK.
If not, it’s not scary. Any part of the rotary tattoo machine can be replaced.
Assembly of tattoo machines
The next stage will be the assembly of the main part. It is important for you to be sure of the presence and good condition of the seizure. Both its parts (tube and tip) should be set to the preferred length.
When it is ready, you must tighten the screws (on the handle). The distance can be any, but the needle should not be more than 2 mm and not less than 1 mm higher.
And then you need to adjust the needle. To have a lot of needles is not the merit of bouncers, who want to appear professionals. It is vital for any tattoo artist.
Due to that, you must have all the sizes of the needles from RL (RS, M1, M2, RM) to F. If you did not confuse the name of the needles with the names of gas masks, then install one needle through the tube.
Check its workability but be sure that it is not put out during assembly. Otherwise, it will be very painful.
Securing the needle
To prevent the needle from hanging, this must be secured with a nipple that connects to the base. As a result, the blunt end of the needle should be closed.
Adjusting the needle
Have you collected all? Then go on to adjust the length of the needle. To do this, any tattoo machine has a crucible (like a screw and located next to the needle).
Connecting to the power supply
Tattoo machines have a cord, and if they do not have, then something is wrong with them. This cord is for connecting to the power system. Often these cords are clamping.
The connection point is noticeable to the naked eye. And there are two inputs on the power supply. All it must be connected.
Final stage – check
“Debriefing” is very important before you start work because something can go wrong.
If everything is assembled and already connected, turn on the machine and learn its work. You did everything right if the tattoo machine vibrates when you turn on the foot switch and if the needle does not hang out.
Top 5 Rotary Tattoo Machine Brands in the Market
Choosing a good and perfect rotary tattoo machine for my research, my eyes fled from the scale of choice.
If you feel the same, then I want to introduce you to the top 5 rotary tattoo machine brands so that you have an idea.
Dragonhawk brand fills the market with a huge number of tattoo machines produced by them.I have to say that the tattoo devices of this brand are worth it to pick up half of the store shelves.
It’s good to use as a liner, as well as a shader. Packing these machines is always great, you can be sure that the product will reach you in integrity and safety.
The whole concept of the Solong brand revolves around compactness. After all, it provides a close feeling that the tattoo machine you are using is practical “your hand”.
However, this brand uses powerful motors that can operate from 7 to 12 volts. It means that these tattoo instruments are universal and can be used for any technique.
Yosoo brand is one of my favorites since it greatly facilitates the life of a tattoo artist.
Managing and installing the necessary things in the work become automatic. It is a button that allows you to control the speed, voltage, and setting of the needle, which happens automatically. This switch allows the tattoo artist to determine what will be included or not.
Dragonfly brand is also based on the use of technology. The products of this brand also include automation and speed and voltage control by means of buttons.
But I was always amazed by the lightness of these machines and how convenient it is placed in the hand. It is the brand that can work without problems in a long session.
Simplicity and versatility. It is how I described the products of the brand Neotat Vivace, which should receive an Oscar for reliability.
It’s easy and I control the process, not the machine with the weight of the engine.I can adjust the length of the needle for those techniques that I’m going to use. I also can work in long sessions without getting tired.
- Clean hands are the guarantee of a beautiful tattoo and pleasant work on it.
- Your tattoo machine should have adjustable pressure. But at first use manual speed and pressure. It is important for setting up work parameters.
- Use lube. It’s not about sex toys, but even here, lubrication is necessary to maintain the machine’s performance. Apply lube drop by drop on the front side on each side. After running the work on 10 volts for 1 minute, it will lower the lubricant inside.
- Clean and lubricate the tattoo machine every six months. But if you use this very often, then be kind enough to carry out the upgrade more often. Deal with the machine, loosening and removing the parts. And then proceed to clean up.
- Do not tighten the screws too tightly. You can pierce the engine!
- Never use madacide, green soap and other liquids in relation to the tattoo of the machine. Clean and lubricate only with oil or lube.
- Keep all the necessary parts and fabric close at hand to avoid looking for anything while working.
- Wind the cloth around your wrist and hold it to the elbow.
- Clean the needle every time you work with multi-colored inks. If you do not do this, you will not get a tattoo, but a dirty spot. And better keep everything you need at hand to change parts quickly and not be distracted from the process.
Helpful Tattoo Tips:
1. Best Tattoo Sunscreen Reviews
What are the best tattoo machine to buy?
We can say that the rotational tattoo machines are made easier; the electric motor moves the needle, it is very easy to operate this machine. But the rotary tattoo machine is a children’s toy for an advanced tattoo master.
To have only one machine is fraught with a good tattoo. It is necessary to use several machines for excellent results.
Well, if you are a beginner, then the best tattoo machine to buy (for you) is a rotary tattoo machine.
What is the best tattoo gun?
To make the eyebrows and lips perfect, you need to choose a tattoo gun with a speed of 10,000 revolutions per minute and 4.5 watts in the engine.
These are the ideal parameters that not every tattoo gun possesses, but if you are looking for a better one, then it’s worth searching.
Choose an aluminum case, as it quickly cools (at short intervals you can clean the machine and needles).
What is the best tattoo ink to buy?
Inks of high-quality standards can only be found in reputable brands. But even it can mix something extra into the paint.
So be sure that the ink is based on water or alcohol. Many include ethanol, glycerol components, and methanol. Despite the frightening names, this composition is organic and helps to transfer pigments. Avoid other ink compositions!
How does tattoo machine work?
The principle of the tattoo machine is as simple as possible. The metal base has a needle (which you installed) and this needle moves by the electric motor (or coils) 2 mm inside and out. The needle is the one that transmits (poured into the needle) ink into the skin. You can test tattoo machine on fake tattoo practice skin.
How fast does the needle go on a tattoo gun?
The needle moves alternately from 50 to 3000 times per minute. But you can control this process and adjust the needle for faster or slower work.
It depends on the complexity of the work, the skin of a person. For example, the fleshy parts need more ink and the needle should be faster, and the mature skin is tender and therefore the needle should be slow.
Are tattoos bad for your health?
My grandmother is sure that yes, tattoos are bad for my health. But not all specialists agree with it. A lot of research is carried out and it is known only that the tattoo affects the allocation of sweat.
Professor of Physiology at Alma College (Michigan), Mori Luketmeyer conducted a study that showed that skin with tattoos secretes half as much sweat as skin without a tattoo.
Stop to rejoice and get the deodorant from the urn, because the secretion of sweat is the reabsorption of sodium and other electrolytes, and this process blocks the tattoo.
Much toxic ink (one-fifth of all ink) and carcinogenic substances can spoil the skin. At least this is the opinion of the Danish Environmental Protection Agency. You can remove tattoo using wrecking balm or hide by tattoo concealer.
You probably expect that in the end, you will get an exact advice on what is the best rotary tattoo machine to buy.
Do you want to learn to own a machine and not to steam with a complicated device?
There is no doubt that the best choice will be a rotary tattoo machine. And choose the brand from those who most trust.
The main thing be careful in assembling the machine, be careful with it and my hands!