I think you are agree with me; it is boring to remove leaves and debris from the gutter regularly.
It takes a lot of time and effort.
Best gutter guard is your life saver in this case!
Give me some mins. I will share my personal experience with you.
Over the years, I had to check the condition of the roof every time it rained. I did not want my house to become a Titanic.
When I again had to return to the roof to remove leaves, frogs, and debris of the roof, I decided that I’d tell about my experience and share information with those who just stood on the ladder of war.
So, I compiled this top ten gutter guard reviews to deprive you of adverse experience and water on the house walls ever.
Best Gutter Guard Reviews 2018!
Below are the most popular gutter guards for the money. Read reviews one by one.
1. E-Z-GUTTER GUARD EZ-Quick-10 Aluminum Mesh Gutter GuardsE-Z Mesh Gutter Guards is aluminum. The material is heavy aluminum with an expansion that does not lend itself to rust formation or the decay process.
This guard system is only for gutters in 5-inch. In the case of gutters of other sizes, it may not be useful.
To install E-Z Mesh Gutter Guards, you do not need to have supernatural abilities, as well as screws and other tools. Due to each section of this protective system has an incision of ¾-inch.
These cuts in the overlap allow the system to hold in place even in the most capricious weather reliably.
E-Z Mesh Gutter Guards is a dense mesh that holds garbage of any kind. It only lets rainwater into the gutter.
Despite that the grid seems to be quite large, it does not even let pine needles pass (it can get stuck, but it will not go inside). The grid shape is diamond and has a size of about 3/16. So, keep calm and think about this rain gutter guard system for pine needles.
E-z Mesh Gutter Guards represents a dozen sections of 4 feet; the total size of the box is 40 feet.
- Easy installation without additional tools
- No screws needed
- Small mesh does not allow rubbish
- Durable aluminum
- No rust or rot
- Made in U.S.A
- Suitable only for 5-inch gutters
2. FlexxPoint 30 Year Gutter Cover System for Residential – 5″, AluminumFlexxPoint Gutter Cover System is aluminum not only in natural color but also in white and black. Such a guard system will be a well-disguised after installation. It is not noticeable from the ground.
You need to mount this gutter guard on the leading edge of the gutters. Installation is using fasteners made of stainless steel.
The brand argues that there will be no additional installations. In other words, after installation, it will be a permanent addition to the gutter system that you have.
The brand assures us that FlexxPoint Gutter Cover System blocks all types of trash and leaves. It also prevents water overflow and neutralizes the damage to the grounds of your home.
The action of this gutter guard for metal roofs is like a dam that slows down the flow of water even if trash and leaves accumulate in large quantities.
However, FlexxPoint does not allow debris and leaves to accumulate. The system creates an airflow that lifts the leaves from the gutter surface.
If you think that aluminum in this guarding system is not stronger than a can, you are mistaken. It uses a more durable aluminum alloy, which is almost ten times greater than that used for any can.
- Collects leaves, trash and sends it to the ground.
- Easy installation
- Durable aluminum alloy
- Multiple colors of material
- Does not require constant care and cleaning
- Tree seeds may get stuck sometimes
- Suitable only for 5-inch gutters
3. A-M Aluminum Gutter Guard – 5″, 200 FeetA-M Aluminum Gutter Guard is no exception and is aluminum. In the proof of the strength of the material, the company gives a guarantee in 25 years. So for the next quarter century, you can forget about rust.
This protection is specifically for hidden gutters but can work with all styles.
If correctly installed, A-M Aluminum Gutter Guard will not be visible from the ground. And you will install it successfully since the installation is straightforward. However, Zip Screws are required, which are not in the kit.
A-M Aluminum Gutter Guard is perfect for rainwater treatment. Such a security system has 380 holes per one feet(total 200).
As for the leaves and trash, the design of this guards system is so that a trash strikes against the protection of the gutter and falls to the ground.
The entire set is 47-inches long and 5-inches wide.
- Garbage and leaves do not penetrate into the gutter but fall to the ground
- Easy installation
- Durable material
- It is not rust and rot
- Not visible from the ground
- During heavy rainfall, it transmits excessive amounts of water
- Does not include Zip screws
4. MegaDeal 24′ EasyOn Gutter GuardEasyOn Gutter Guard is a guard for gutters, as well as an installation kit that includes stainless steel screws and a double-sided tape for fastening.
The screws bend and can be fixed from the inside. However, the presence of pins is not necessary in the case of EasyOn Gutter Guard.
The gutter guard under consideration can be installed without this and do not come off even during a strong wind.
This protective system is for 5-inch gutters. There are also end members that attach the mesh to the gutter. By the way, the mesh seems thin, but it does not miss garbage and leaves.
The box contains 24 pieces, which represents four sections of 6 bits each. Each part is easy to install due to the double-sided adhesive tape and steel screws in the kit.
- Includes screws and tape for installation
- Sturdy stainless steel
- Easy installation
- Do not let trash and leaves
- Perfect for pine needles, oak trees, metal roofs
- In some cases, the panel is not sealed.
5. 5″ x 4′ Armour Screen-25pk (100ft) with Self-locking “C” Clip LocksThe aluminum guard system for gutters, Armour Screen, is 4 feet (5-inch) long and is quite easy to install. It is all about self-locking C mounts that fix the screen in the gutter.
Armor Screen also has reinforced double edges that provide strength and stiffness as much as possible.
As for color, the variety is meager, since only one color is the natural gray color of aluminum.
The installation does not cause probs since no screws and tools are required. If this does not seem to be effective, then you can bend the edge of the gutter up for strength or use screws.
That is due to the material is quite high, it cannot be cut. So use the tin scissors. It also has a high durability and will not allow water to the foundation of the house for many years.
- Durable aluminum
- Easy installation without tools
- Strengthened edges for strength
- Only one color
6. GutterBrush Leaf Gutter Guard – 30 Foot Pack for 5 Inch Rain GutterGutterBrush Leaf Gutter Guard is a line of cylindrical bristles that visually resemble a brush.
Such a “brush” fills the gutter, does not let the leaves and fragments of the shingles leak into the trough. However, it passes water into the down pipe.
To say that this gutter guard is easy in the installation means to do not say anything. No screws and construction tools are needed. It should just be put in a gutter like a pile of laundry in a cabinet or cheese in the fridge.
Many gutter guards are suitable for a particular climate. In the case of GutterBrush Leaf Gutter Guard, this system is universal.
The bristle material is polypropylene with a galvanized steel core. Sounds stable, so it is. It is also not afraid of sun exposure since the bristles are protected from ultraviolet radiation.
I’m not sure that leaves from the roof will fall to the ground and this brush gutter is not gutter guards for oak trees. Most likely, all the leaves and seeds are stuck in the bristles. But it’s easy to clean.
One GutterBrush Leaf Gutter Guard package contains 9×36-inch sections and 2×18-inch sections. It is enough for 30 feet of standard 5-inch residential gutters.
- Easy installation
- Does not require tools
- Skips water, but not garbage
- Protected from the sun
- Sturdy material
- Universal for any climate
- Leaves stuck is in bristles
- Need a frequent cleaning
7. GutterStuff EZ 5-Inch K Style Foam Gutter FilterGutterStuff EZ K Style is one of the best foam gutter guard filter. It has a complicated long name but is easy to install.
The gutter guard system under consideration is a filter of UV stabilizer, germicide and flame retardant. In other words, it is protected from direct exposure to sunlight, and the bactericide should not create ideal conditions for insects.
GutterStuff EZ K Style Foam Gutter Filter fills the gutter entirely if it is set up at an angle. Then it will not be noticeable from below; the leaves will be collected on a flat surface. And water will be collected at an edge in the gutter.
There is also a straightforward installation, as the material does not require screws and other tools.
GutterStuff EZ K Style Foam Gutter Filter is polyester for the standard type of gutters (5-inches, K style). The entire set contains 32 linear feet in four sections. Hope this Foam Gutter Filter Reviews will help you to take decision.
- Easy installation
- No tools
- Sturdy material
- Protected from the sun
- Treated against insects
- Does not work in seamless troughs
- Forms dirt in the gutter
- Animals like it
8. LeafsOut 5” DIY Micro Mesh Rain Gutter Guard – 100 Feet, Stainless SteelLeafsOut Micro Mesh Rain Gutter Guard is a stainless steel mesh that must not allow debris to pass through but catch water.
Many systems for gutters like that made of plastic or polystyrene are susceptible to sunlight and quickly deteriorate. LeafsOut Micro Mesh Rain Gutter Guard is not exposed to the sun due to the strength and stability of the material.
But steel is not the only component. The front edge is aluminum, and the control strip is also of stainless steel.
That is why the water on the underside of the net will also go into the gutter. The mesh holes are small and do not let insects pass into the gutter.
A key feature of this guard is that this is universal and can be installed on any gutter from semi-circular to K style and for roofing.
As for the installation, it is not as simple as in previous reviews. The leading edge has a stop that presses against the leading side of the chute. It should be screwed with screws, while the rear edge hides under the roof cover.
The size of one grid is 6-inches wide by 4 feet long.
- Sturdy steel and aluminum
- Does not collapse from the sun
- Do not let the garbage into the gutter
- Gathers all the water from the roof
- Universal for all types of gutters and roofs
- Water freezes and blocks the grid
- Require screws
9. Advanced Silicone Foam Gutter Stuff – UV-Resistance, 6-Inch, K-Style, 26 FeetAdvanced Silicone Foam Gutter Stuff is a silicone filter. It leaves the trash on the surface but lets the water pass to the gutter. I’d say that is the best gutter guard for pine needles due to the foam base.
Silicone in the base does not freeze in winter and ice does not form. Advanced Silicone Foam Gutter Stuff is frost-resistant and heat-resistant.
The surface of the filter is not treated with chemicals that can give superpowers. All functions and features are in silicone.
According to the brand, a fire-resistant material does not undergo corrosion, bacteria and colonization. The base is also resistant to the formation of cracks and dents and other breakages. The manufacturer is so confident in this that it gives a guarantee for 20 years.
Installing Advanced Silicone Foam Gutter Stuff is easy. Here, you do not need tools, because the filter just needs to be correctly positioned with the angle up and the downside down. It only applies when you do not need to cut the filter.
The Advanced Silicone Foam Gutter Stuff pores are slightly open and let the water flow into the gutter. However, free pores can become clogged. You have to be careful with this.
The width of the gutter guard filter under consideration is 6-inches, and the length is 26 feet.
- Easy installation
- Stops the spread of mosquitoes
- Not treated with chemicals
- Resistant to cold weather and breakage
- Deformed after prolonged exposure to the sun
- Open pores collect dirt
10. Easyon Gutter Guard – 5”, Micro Mesh, Heated Gutter GuardEasyon Gutter Guard is for standard 5-inch troughs. This gutter guard is a filtration system that is stainless steel. It is not the only one material at the heart of the gutter guard under consideration.
The mesh is of stainless steel, and the support frame is of aluminum. Both materials are durable.
Easyon Gutter Guard’s steel mesh works as a filter, leaving leaves, coniferous needles and trash outside the gutter. And the shards of the shingles cannot destroy the steel mesh.
The brand claims that the gutter guard under consideration can process 150-inches of heavy rainfall.
The installation will be correct only at an angle, and then the leaves and trash will be on the ground, and not on the surface of the chute. To install Easyon Gutter Guard, you will need the screws that are included in the kit.
I assure you, surprises do not end with screws. The most logical of the manufacturers included in a set of nine sections of 4 feet of gutter guards and a driver called Ice Melt Cover TM.
This gutter guard MC protects steel and aluminum from ice formation and cold exposure. Ice Melt makes the mesh heated, so icicles and snow should not form.
The installation can be performed not only using a screw but also glued to the tape.
- Sturdy material (steel and aluminum)
- Do not freeze
- The kit has everything you need for installation
- Processes 150-inches of water
- Do not miss leaves and trash
- It skips the seeds of trees
Gutter Guard Buying Guide
Read our well researched buying guide before purchase guard.
Benefits of Using Gutter Guard
There are huge benefits of a gutter guard. I have listed below some of them.
Good gutter guard counteracts the ingress of leaves and trash, which can cause severe probs with the drain. Plus, you do not need to clean every six months, but once every few years.
No premature rust
Humidity and rubbish are absent in the gutter guard, and therefore the occurrence of early corrosion is impossible. It increases the shelf life of the gutter guard several times.
You can control its condition
Gutter guard allows you to control the amount of trash and water in the gutters. After all, otherwise water can get into the house or start a rapid damage to the foundations of the house.
Improved water flow in the downpipe
Downpipes are not blocked due to the gutter guard. It enhances the flow of clean water without trash in the downpipe. There is no more stagnant water. And the water tank (if you have it) will replenish faster during the rain.
Preventive maintenance of reproduction of animals
Animals and insects such as mice, opossums, spiders, and cockroaches live in gutters. Some build nests there, others breed and try to get under the roof. Using gutter guard helps stop animals and make your roof not attractive to them.
Metal gutter guard does not allow parts of trees and bushes to enter the gutter. It will not allow the fire to spread if the dry material falls into the gutter.
No freezing in winter (sometimes)
As a rule, water gets into the tray during the winter and depending on the weather, and the water can freeze, clog the gutter, and in the spring, it can seep into the house. The gutter guard does not allow this to happen.
Types of Gutters
Most of the gutter guards are created for this standard and most common style. It is always aluminum and 5-inches. Such an unspoken rule!
You must have seen this style. The design of such gutters is aesthetically justified. And why K-style?
As far as I know, this legend does not come from Alexander The First, but from the fact that K-11 is a letter from all types of gutters.
Yes, there are also A, B, C, D, E and others. The difference between them lies in the angle of inclination of the gutter front part.
Half round style
In contrast to the previous trench, the name of this corresponds to reality. Such a gutter has a semicircular shape.
Besides, it is deafer than K-style. Therefore, clogging is very frequent, and a semicircular shape causes the massive gutter to sag.
European trough is very similar to the semicircular gutter due to the shape. That is why it takes the same disadvantages. And also this kind of gutters has a front, wrapped in the inside.
In addition to all the above, gutters are hanging, wall (on the lid), over the cornice, behind the attic, in the valley.
Types of gutter guards
In general, most often the best guard grids roll mesh are metal. Such a protective mesh is installed in the gutters.
It is so that the leaves and trash do not get into the drain and interfere with the work of the gutters, downpipes, and even storm water runoff.
Gutter guards come in the following types:
Screens are rock stars among other types of gutter guards since no one competes them for recognition. There is a massive amount of screen sizes and materials.
Besides, it is so popular because it is effortless to install. Imagine that it can just slide under the roof tiles performing the primary functions. During operation, the screen tilts merely and gets rid of trash.
Leaves are the main enemy of screens. Mesh does not miss leaves of any size, as well as seeds and even conifers. However, many use screens for old tiles, which can’t be lifted.
A plastic mesh
The plastic mesh is very similar to the screens, but it does not concern the functions. After a small mesh misses (and sometimes clogs up) a little rubble and debris. That’s why you need to clean the plastic mesh regularly.
You need to install this type of gutter guard under the shingles. Thus, it strengthens the gutters and keeps the snow or leaves. By the way, ice and branches damage the screen of a fine grid without much effort.
Slit mesh does not allow to a large debris come in the gutter, but the water and small debris. So, here you can meet a clogging and a necessary for regular cleaning of a slit mesh.
Brush gutter guard
The viewed type of gutter guards is similar to brush you use for a bottle cleaning, but there is no handle. Water comes through the spikes of a brush gutter guard, but leaves cling to the spikes and stay above.
Brush gutter guard is a lover of a regular cleaning that can prevent clogging and continue to pass the water. But some small debris arrives at the gutter space.
Sponge gutter guard
Sponge gutter guard looks like large sponge or foam that passes water through it as real sponge do that. As for leaves and debris, that is on the foam gutter guard.
This kind of gutter guards requires the most uncomplicated installation. You need just to put it in the gutter of the appropriate size. During the time, just take it for cleaning from insects and trash.
Features to look for during purchase
Sectional or seamless gutters
When buying it is essential to determine the size of the roof of your house and what kind of trough you need. There are two of them – sectional and seamless. For sure, the first is the cheapest one.
As you’ve already understood, the sectional gutters are a few little gutters that you need to glue together before installing. Mind the places that you stuck together because that’s where it will flow during the rain.
Simultaneously, seamless gutters consist of the one. As a rule, if the groove has small seams, then the leaks will be fewer.
Seamless gutters are more expensive but much more popular and practical.
As for the material, then everything is much more complicated since there is a lot of choices.
For instance, vinyl is famous for not only music but even in housekeeping area. That is due to it is not expensive. But in this, there are costs such as fragility. If you live in a colder climate, the cold will make the vinyl fragile as a dandelion.
But the brands are not as stupid as we think. They have made silicone gaskets that create sealed seals. It is due to the silicone gaskets are compressed. In this regard, the gutters also expand and contract, depending on the cold or warm weather.
However, vinyl is not a rock star among gutters. And aluminum is very popular because aluminum is a lightweight material, resistant to time (rust). It is available to a person of any prosperity. By the way, you can buy aluminum troughs of any color.
As for stronger materials, the galvanized steel and copper gutters will be an excellent choice. Such materials are very durable. Remember how long coins live!
And these materials do not give rise to rust for several decades (20 years). It is what you need for severe weather.
In turn, copper is one of the most durable materials for gutters. Copper as wine grows old, but it does not get any worse. Thus, copper gutters can last from 75 to 100 years.
You have to be careful when installing copper gutters and do this in gloves since oils of human skin can damage the coating.
K-Style or Half Round Gutters
When buying, it’s essential to decide on the right type of groove selection. In general, there are two. The first is a K-style, and the second is a semicircular shape.
K-style is a modern and more popular creation. Semicircular gutters are a classic, which is most often made of copper.
Both styles are quite attractive concerning aesthetics. Regarding functioning, both styles also work at a high level.
Imagine that, you installed a gutter and the first rain started. Then you will notice that the water will drain inaccurately. To make it safely to the house, you need to install downpipes.
Its width varies from 2×3-inches up to 3×4-inches. There are also circular gutters, which are 3-4 inches in diameter.
If you think there are enough gutters and downpipes, you are mistaken. Additionally to this, you need gutter guards from trash, snow, ice, leaves and other things.
This protection system only allows water to flow into the chute, and everything else stays on top or falls at an angle.
Above and in our reviews, I spoke about its types.
Top 5 Gutter Guard Brands
FlexxPoint is one of the most popular brands on the market. The reason is the strength of aluminum of different colors, which the brand uses.
Such gutter guards rarely become clogged and can last for decades with a three-point design. So, “Strength” is the second name of FlexxPoint.
EasyOn Gutter Guard
This brand is a real wilderness in the industry. Even if you monitor the most secluded corners of the Net, you will hardly find negative feedback about EasyOn Gutter Guard’s production.
The main idea of this brand’s products is to create simple and convenient technologies. For instance, they found several alternatives to screws in the installation of gutter guards.
And products EasyOn Gutter Guard is not afraid of a cold and can function even in the coldest place of Greenland.
“Like a sponge will clean everything” could be the slogan of GutterBrush brand, if they updated the products with all the requirements.
But this brand deserves respect and close attention since this kind of gutter guard is a flawless innovation. I think that the gutter guard installation has never been so easy.
GutterStuff brand is one of the few gutter guard manufacturers, which cares about the external impact.
This brand processes materials with various substances that protect the gutter from exposure to the sun or bacteria. Therefore, choosing GutterStuff you do not need to worry, animals and insects will not like your choice.
Leaf Filter focuses on creating the sealed production that will not miss a single leaf, but enough water.
Gutter Guard Operation and Maintenance Tips
- Use gloves when you work with copper. Human skin oils damage the surface of copper gutters and make them not as durable as it is.
- Avoid scratches while cleaning the gutters. To do this, use a soft plastic bucket. Keep in mind, a metal cleaning tool can scratch copper.
- If the gutters of your house are made of copper, then polish the material. It will prolong the life of the gutters of the house.
- Clean the gutters from trash and leaves carefully and regularly. One annual cleaning is enough to ensure that the gutters serve you before moving to another planet.
- Prevent leaks. If the gutters of your house are made of cast iron, then leaks are inevitable. Therefore, use transparent silicone reinforcements to make the connection leak proof and not leaking.
- Flush the gutters by running water if they are clogged with trash. You can do it with a conventional hose. There are many other ways to do this.
- Use the ladder for any work on the roof. The ladder must be stable and safe. If possible, buy a ladder with a separate shelf for tools, buckets and other accessories.
- Do not use the garden or wooden ladder to work on the roof. The best choice is a fiberglass one, as it is substantial and quite reliable.
- Inspect the ladder for breakage or defects before starting work.
- Protect your eyes through glasses. It is very important to protect the eyes when cleaning the gutter, as animals such as rats and insects can live there.
- Remove trash after rain. It will prevent clogging of the gutter and downpipe when the next storm will wash it off.
- Use only rubber shoes to work on the roof and clean the chute. Rubber shoes are more efficient because of it sticks to the coating and does not slip when it is raining.
- Work on the roof only in the late morning or afternoon. The roof will not be too wet at this time (obviously, if it does not rain).
- Check the lock in the downpipe after cleaning the chute. Do it with water from the hosepipe. If you find constipation, knock on the side. It will help reduce the drawdown.
- Check the cleanliness of the gutters at least twice a year. The best time to check is autumn and spring. Gutters will work without rust and clog.
- Be careful with the power line. Always!
- Inspect visually of the electrical cable that runs around the gutter. The insulation of the cable must not be damaged.
- Never repair an electrical cable if it is damaged. Call a specialist who has the knowledge and can fix it. Do not listen to your ego! Professional will cope at 100%.
- Do not clean the gutter during rain, even if there is a problem with the electrical cable. It is dangerous for your health and life. Entrust this business to a professional in weather without rain.
- Install gutter guards to protect the gutters. Then cleaning the gutters will cease to be necessary.
- Check reviews before buying gutter guards. Since the brands can exaggerate, and gutter guards let in debris.
- Notify the family and many people (who can help you) when you are going to clean the gutters and work on the roof. It’s not a principle of boasting, just this activity can be dangerous for you.
- Clean the gutters from leaves and large debris in the first place. All other smaller trash will be secondary.
Q. Which design is better seamless or sectional?
A. This question does not have an exact answer since it depends on many factors. A seamless design will not (or rarely) create leaks, but it is likely to sag and rust. Sectional often occur in places of seams. Choose the lesser of evils.
Q. Do the gutters have any warranty?
A. Yes, many companies provide product guarantees. It goes from three to 100 years.
Q. What is the average length of the gutter?
A. As in the case of seamless as well as with a narrow gutter, the length will depend on the size of your house. You can always cut off (if it’s seamless) or add (sectional) part of the gutter.
Q. Can gutter guards withstand strong rain?
A. If your gutter has a large deep bottom, then you can be sure that the vagaries of the weather are not terrible for your home. This size is specified for processing large volumes of water. Typically, such gutters are at five and 6-inches.
Q. Why do we need gutters?
A. Gutters exist to remove water away from the house. It does not allow erosion to occur, the arrival of the foundations of the house in disrepair.
In other words, the gutters do not allow water to flow down the walls. It only conducts water to the pipe, from where the water pours to the ground.
Q. How long does it take to install?
A. A gutters installation does not require much time. It’s quite a few hours. However, if you have a big house, it will take longer.
Q. What can I do to make it work for a long time?
A. For the durability of the gutter, clean regularly of trash and snow. And also make a damage check.
Q. How often should a gutter guard be changed?
A. You do not need to change the gutter until it stops acting the primary function of protecting the grounds of your house from water.
Q. Which downpipes are the most durable?
A. People believe that steel is the most durable metal, but it rusts. However, copper and aluminum do not rust and can last dozens, even hundreds of years.
Q. Can I find gutters that match the color of the house?
A. Yes, the gutters have a different color. Most often multi-colored gutters are made of aluminum. And if you changed the color of the house, then you can change the color of aluminum gutters as well.
Q. Where should downpipes be?
A. A professional, who first examined your house, should answer this question. However, usually, downpipes are placed on the outer corner of the house or in the middle of the gutter (if the house is long).
Helpful Article: Best Downspout Extension Reviews
Real talk, even if you install best gutter guard, then the leaves and some garbage will pass into the gutter space. Either way, you will come across the purification of gutter and gutter guards.
When choosing, it is better to take into account the longevity and the amount of garbage that will not pass through the guard. Make a choice also to the aforesaid in gutter guard reviews, and you will not lose!